Monday, November 14, 2005

The Green Eyesore

The Green Eyesore still sits outside. The Green Eyesore is my 1984 Ford Bronco II 4X4. It's the V-6 with a weber racing carb. And it doesn't run. The car has now been parked in its place long enough for some intrepid spider to build a respectable web. Rather large and scary looking, actually.

I told my brother about the Green Eyesore. He asked what it needs to get it running. I told him a miracle. He said, "What does it need most to make it better?" I told him it needs to be rolled down a hill. It's true. I could just push the sumbitch across the highway and through the brush. It might even fall in the ocean. How lucky would that be?

I don't have a bicycle out here. My bicycle is sitting in my friend's garage in Arcadia. Technically, she lives in San Gabriel, but she literally lives right next to the "Welcome to Arcadia" sign. It's odd. I think that when I go back to visit or move, I'm going to take that sign and move it to the other side of her house. I'll increase the value of her home for her, because I'm a good friend.

So I need a job. It's coming to the point where I've got to stop dilly-dallying. I stopped at Starbucks about a week ago to get an application. As I walked across the parking lot, I stopped. I thought, "Goddamnit, I spent six years in school. I may be broke, and I may NEED a part time job, but I went to school just so I wouldn't HAVE to get a part time job at the Starbucks." I turned around and left without getting the app. It's weird. I feel I'm going back in time a bit. While friends move further into their careers, and get close to graduating from their graduate programs, I can't see myself looking for a part-time job. Not at Starbucks, at least. My mother says, "You need a job. You need the benefits, and you get free coffee, and they have good stock options." That's true. I need the benefits, and they do have good stock options. But I drink fresh Kona or Kauai coffee every day. Starbucks is lousy. Their lattes are okay, but that's about it. Their coffee tastes burnt, and I don't like those sugary crappacino bullshit iced drinks.

My dislike of their product, though, doesn't mean I don't need a job, unfortunately. Damn.

Not that I'm living TOO lavishly. I go out for a meal perhaps once or twice a week. I get a tank of gas about once every week and a half. My big expense is insurance. And since I quit my job, I have to pay my full premium--a whopping $330 per month. In about two months, I'll be eligible for a conversion so it'll go down to hopefully closer to $100 per month. There's my cell phone, too, but that's not too bad. And I prepaid my entire gym membership for the next year. Also my old car insurance. I haven't even switched it over to the Bronco yet, which is stupid. Even though the Bronco isn't running, I still am paying insurance on the Saab that I no longer even own (so as not to have a gap in coverage). All well. I guess I'll do that tomorrow. Maybe I can afford to be the poor unemployed writer for another month.

No comments: