Sunday, November 20, 2005

Hello, I'm Johnny Cash.

Man, wouldn't it be great if I were able to say that and mean it?

I went to the Club and worked out a bit this evening. Usually, on Sundays, I go across the street and get some Vietnamese takeout from Ba'Le. Today, I went and got some Jamba juice and walked around a bit. And then a funny thought struck me: "This isn't so different from Old Pasadena." Old Pasadena is a really nice shopping area with an okay night life and fair amounts of culture. There's at least one theatre, movie theaters, restaurants. But the Kona Coast Shopping Center had all of this (minus the theaters, night life, and culture).

There was the requisite Starbucks. Also, there was the Vietnamese place (and what's any place without a Vietnamese place?), Blockbuster Video (which really fulfills the function a movie theater does), Ross (a poor excuse for a department store, but STILL a department store), KTA (it's not Gelson's, but it's a pretty nice grocery store), Jamba Juice, and a couple of other places. Tourists are wondering about intermingled with the people that live here. Come on. Did I not just describe Old Pasadena? You may have to use your imagination a little, and perhaps even a little stoned, but it'll all start to make sense.

I've decided to write a proposal to present to the city council about changing the name from Kona Coast Shopping Center to Old Pasadena II. I think it's pretty promising, and should give me the exposure I need to enter local politics. For the large number of Southern Californians that live here, I imagine it will make them all feel more at home. All it needs is at least one super-trendy bar and a sushi place close by that's open until 4:30 AM, and we're set. I'll never have to move back to Pasadena.

Le is coming out to visit on Thursday. Yes, Thanksgiving. It's my favorite holiday. I hate Christmas, because I dislike Christianity, Christians, Christmas trees, Christmas music, and Kenny G (who seems to always have some sort of shitty Christmas CD out). Easter? It's okay because there's a lot of candy, but then what? Eggs? Come on. Passover? No. It's kind of like Chanukah for me, except it's only one day. And what's my deal with Chanukah? For me, it's an eight day reminder of how Jewish I'm not, and how I've never been Bar Mitzvahed and I'll resent my parents forever for not preparing me for it like every other Jew on Earth. Also, my apartment always stinks after I make latkes. That pretty much leaves Thanksgiving and the 4th of July. I used to like the 4th of July, too, but the Republicans have turned it into American Ultra-Patriatism Day.

So Thanksgiving. Turkey lurkey doo and a turkey lurkey dap. I eat that turkey then I take a nap.

I'm going to see Good Night, and Good Luck at the Aloha Theatre on Wednesday. I'm pretty psyched. It looks like a cool movie, and it's only $6. If I could convince them I'm 60 or above, the movie's ony $5. Any ideas?

I just watched Matrix Revolutions today...Yeah...The first movie was fine. I don't think they had to ruin it with sequals. Actually, the second movie was ultra-bizarre. The third one wasn't too bad.

Yeah...so that's that.

1 comment:

Source Jockey said...

Latkes are goooood!