Sunday, December 04, 2005

Development. Awwww.

Fuck the traffic. Fuck the white man.

Today was nothing special. A typical Hawaiian day. Beautiful sunset, perfect weather.

I wouldn't say that that gets old, but...you start craving variation.

I've decided (and it's a preliminary decision) to return to Cali in about 6 months. I was talking to my brother about this today. It starts to get pretty old when a whole lot of people (the natives) hate you because you're white and/or grew up in actual civilization. But that's not it.

Don't get me wrong: I like natural beauty. I enjoy the volcanoes, the gorgeous weather, the sun setting over the water and making everything glow orange, the flowers, the multi-colored coral, the bright fish, etc.

But damnit, I miss people. I miss IKEA, a great selection of restaurants, theaters, bookstores, malls, suitable educational and medical facilities, public transportation systems, large electronics stores, nice public libraries. Development. Why is it that I crave to see evidence of humanity's destruction of everything in nature? And would I feel this way if I didn't live on an island?

Of course, my whole view may change when I go visit Honolulu (not officially planned yet, but I do want to go check it out). There, the weather is the same, but it has a lot of development. It's often compared to LA. They say it has bad traffic, but now there's actually pretty bad traffic in little old Kona. It's true. Heading from Captain Cook through Kealakekua all the way past Keauhou into Kailua-Kona in the morning is bumper-to-bumper traffic. And between three-thirty and 7-thirty is traffic heading in the opposite direction.

Besides, I miss the hot topic of conversation in LA: How you got to where you are today. These conversations were entirely composed of numbers (representing freeways). Everyone did this. Debates and arguments over the many ways to get where you are now, and then the topic will temporarily change to something else before everyone discusses how they're going to get to the next place. "Take the 10 to the 605 to the 134 to the 101 and exit at Reyes Adobe." And then someone could say, "No, don't do that. Take the 10 to the 5 straight up to the 101, and then take that out to Reyes Adobe." Blah blah blah.

I don't miss the traffic, though. FUCK the traffic.

No comments: