Saturday, December 10, 2005

Richard Pryor's Dead and All Hope's Lost

Richard Pryor died this morning. That's a phenomenal loss. I bet Billy Graham and the entire white conservative Christian establishment is thrilled. It's a big loss, even though he was so self-destructive. It's almost surprising that he lived as long as he did. Anyone that deliberately sets themselves on fire doesn't seem to have the strong desire to see that many more birthday cakes put in front of them.

I finished my screenplay the other night. Oh, you didn't know I was writing one? And you don't care. But then your next thing might be, "Let me read it, Ryan!" No. You don't get to read it. You don't get to touch it.

You know who you are. I let you read my shit in the past and nobody ever does. For some people who say they want to read something I write, I might actually put the copy in their hands. More often than not, that person (and it's not just one; this is a typical reaction) will flip through it really quick and say, "Wow...This is kind of thick." Yeah. "Hmm...That's a lot to read." And then they turn on the TV.

You'll say, "I won't do that." But then you will, and when I ask you in two months if you've read it, you'll say, "Not yet. I've been really busy. But I'm going to this weekend."

I'm being a bit self-centered to think that anyone will want to read it, of course.

I just got sweet potato ice cream and lychee flavored sorbet last night. Isn't that odd? Both are surprisingly good, but that sweet potato ice cream is something odd. It's sweet, and creamy, and yummy, but I feel a bit like I'm eating a meal when I eat it. However, last night I found out it's actually taro, because taro is a kind of sweet potato. The ice cream is purple (like taro), and tastes like taro. Why they didn't just call it taro ice cream is beyond me.

Anybody know anything about poi? Everyone says I need to try poi. They sell at at KTA in big bags, but I don't know how to prepare it. Do you just take it out of the bag and eat it?

No comments: