Thursday, December 22, 2005

Stuck

Today, I decided to get out of my apartment. Yesterday I didn't go anywhere. I said, "I need to get out of this apartment. It's too depressing to stay in the same place all the time." So I packed my backback with my iPod and other stuff, and drove out to the Place of Refuge. It's one of the most sacred places to the native Hawaiians. It's only a 20 minute drive, and though there's no good places to swim, it offers excellent views of water crashing into the shore. Why not?

Anyway, when I got down there and got out of the car, I saw a puddle of anti-freeze forming under the car. A nice big smelly puddle. I opened the hood and saw the busted hose running from the engine to the radio. I found some duct tape in the trunk of the car, and taped up the hole really nice. Then, I refilled the radiator with water (since there were water fountains and I had several empty water bottles in the car). After I was done with looking at waves crash on the beach (and I was sure the car had cooled), I got in and started driving.

The problem with the Place of Refuge is it's at the bottom of a looooong hill. No surprise, then, that the car made it about a half mile out of the entrance before it overheated. I pulled over, added more tape to the hole, and saw that the hose had sprung a new leak. I taped that, got in the car, and drove another mile and a half or so. Again it overheated. There was another leak.

I called uncle Collector. He had to take his wife to the airport, still, and that was way far in the opposite direction. I told him which hose it was, and he said he'd stop at an autoparts store on the way back. I planned on a wait of two to three hours. I called Triple-A and reactivated my membership just in case I would need a tow (and everyone should have Triple-A; I was stupid to have not renewed my membership). But AAA said I'd get the first 5 miles of towing free, and then each mile after that would be $5 per mile--and we were a shade more than 5 miles from any mechanic.

I walked back to Place of Refuge, watched more waves crashing on the shore, and then walked back to the car to meet him. We installed the new hose, but it appeared too big. All well--maybe it'll work. Half a mile later, I pulled over and we cut the hose down half an inch (which took awhile since we used wire cutters to do this). Another half mile, and the car overheated again. We cut it down another inch.

This time, the car was almost to the top of the hill (and the highway that would take us back home) when it overheated again. I barely had enough time to pull over as the needle raced towards the red. I shut off the car and we ditched it for the night. I rode back with him. Who knows how major the problem is.

Now, I've got two completely nonfunctioning cars. I'm bummed, because living in Hawaii is a bit like Southern California in one major respect: You can't get anywhere without a car. I'm thinking about getting a bicycle. The gym is an easy 12 mile bike ride away downhill. The problem? Coming home UPhill.

I can't see much of a solution except to come home. My vacation is over. Without a car, I'm completely stranded. I have no money to buy a new car, or pay for major repairs. I'm so sick of dealing with old shitty cars that break down all the time.

No comments: