Sunday, June 12, 2005

Starting a Band

I've been talking to my neighbor for awhile about starting a band. And by awhile, I mean I mentioned it today in passing, and he said, "Yeah. Okay."

"I'll write the lyrics and sing. You write the music and play the guitar."

"All right. I've got recording equipment in my apartment. You want to see it?"

"Nah, I've got to get my groceries in the fridge." We'd just gotten back from Trader Joe's where he went with to watch me buy groceries. "I'm serious, though. I want to start this band."

"Me, too," he said.

So we're going to start a band. I tried writing out some lyrics. I've never written any lyrics to any songs. I assume writing lyrics is like writing poetry. I've never written good poetry. Besides, most songs aren't written in rhyming couplets. I do best when writing in rhyming couplets. But rhyming couplets typically make bad poetry.

Maybe I could write a few haikus and turn those into songs? I have no idea.

Not that I've ever sung, either. Jay plays the guitar, but I don't sing. He's one of the best guitar players I've heard. I assume I'd sing about as well as any guy who doesn't sing. I probably sing as well as I dance.

This is why our strong points will have to be our:
1) lyrics
2) guitar,
3) band name, and
4) sweet outfits.

Possible band names:
Kitchen Sink
Medinski and Jigsaw (I'll be Medinski; he'll be Jigsaw. Why? Don't know)
Organ Harvesters (I have a friend that's an organ harvester)
Swamp Coolers (I just got one of these for my apartment)
The Afterschool Specials (sounds cool)
Exit Only (cause we're straight, but fully in support of gay rights)
Yield to Oncoming Traffic
The Cornish Hens
Do the Chickens Have Large Talons?
I Fucked Your Mom and Now It Hurts to Pee
2Jew4U (though Jay is Catholic)
False Advertising (honesty is the best policy)
I Love [sell this space to a company for a lot of money] Products! ($$$)
The Republican Party (we'll steal our shows from all other bands)
Civil Rights For All (nobody will listen to us or buy our CDs)

No comments: