Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Blood From a Fucking Turnip

I gave blood today. I always try to give more than one pint, but they refuse me. "Listen, I'm already hooked up, guys. Just keep it going." They never do. They say they can only take one, even though I'm giving them permission to take two or three. Bastards. I've got plenty. I can handle it.

Giving blood is important. I do it for several reasons: desire to help those in need, desire to give back to my community, I act as a role model to those who may not otherwise think about giving blood. Of course since you can probably read through my bullshit, you probably know the MAIN reasons are the free cookies and time off from work. I got to leave at 2 PM today.

I ate dinner with my friend today at a place in Alhambra. It was right next door to the In 'n Out. I originally meant to get a large salad or something along those lines, but then I decided I wanted a burger. And I had wanted to go to this restaurant rather than the In 'n Out because
I'd wanted a "large salad or something," then the overcooked hamburger turned out to be the most mediocre burger ever made. As if to taunt me, I spent the meal facing a window that looked out on the In 'n Out, and all those happy people eating those delicious burgers. Damn it. And all because I wanted a salad, and then changed my mind.

If we woke up tomorrow and In 'n Out was all out of burgers FOREVER, and there was just one protein-style (no bun, lettuce wrapped) animal-style (special sause, tasty onions on top) triple-triple (three quarter pounds of meat with three pieces of cheese), and I had to kill someone to get to it, my only concern would be what I'd have to get the fries to go with it. That's how good In 'n Out is.

California Real Estate
It just doesn't make sense to those that don't live here (ie. the Australians). Want a 1500 square foot house in a nice neighborhood? Outside of Southern California, it varies. For instance, in Albuquerque, NM, that would probably cost somewhere between $130,000 to $170,000 depending on what part of town you're in (maybe more, maybe less). In Katy, Texas, that same house would be closer to $85,000. In my neighborhood, it's about $650,000. A mile south is San Marino; it would be closer to $900,000 there.

The cheapest condominium in Albuquerque could be had for about $45,000. Here in Pasadena, the cheapest condo (1 bed, 1 bath, street parking) is closer to $400,000.

3 comments:

Adam said...

Dude, we totally understand real estate. In fact, I read somewhere something that said that Australia is 18 months ahead of the US in it's real estate boom and America was checking us out to see how we handled it.

Which means nothing, I know.

You can quite easily throw those same numbers around here. The suburb next to mine, you can't buy an apartment for less than $500,000 while in my suburb (5 minutes away) the prices are closer to half that.

Start talking houses and it gets crazier. The price range is ridiculous and no bank is going to lend me enough money to buy anything remotely close to anything. That's alright, I might just rent forever....

Fluffy said...

Sadly I understand real estate quite well, being $350,000 in the hole for my little apartment as I am. Melbourne house prices just trebled in the last 8 years. But Sydney is totally ridiculous - prices are so out of control I can't imagine the 20 somethings would ever bother with saving for a deposit.

Fluffy said...

* $350,000 Australian dollars