Sunday, July 10, 2005

What the fuck am I supposed to laugh at, motherfucker?

I went to the Ice House in Pasadena. It's a comedy club. I had to point out to my friends (as I'll do right here as well) that the Ice House is a 'titty bar' in Albuquerque. How odd, right?

It was such a terrible show. 20 bucks. 3 comedians. The headliner--the fucking headliner, Jeff Garcia--got drunk, and there were these hecklers he kept telling to shut the fuck up, and then he walked off about twenty or so minutes into his show. His show, up to that point, consisted of making fun of certain audience members, and telling these rude assholes from Oxnard to shut the fuck up. "Shut the fuck up. I'm on the stage, and everyone here paid $20 to hear me tell jokes, not to hear you yell out stupid shit. Shut the fuck up." Finally, he got really fed up and said, "In the 500 shows I've done at the Ice House, I've never had to stop a show." Then he put the mic down and walked out the door.

What a fucking waste.

All three of the comedians relied on bashing cultural stereotypes. They pretty much had the same jokes--all about Phillipinos, Chinese, Blacks, Asians in general, Whites, Mexicans, gays. Great. How can their material be thought of as original when they each come to the stage separately and tell the same jokes? Okay, one comedian focusing on stereotypes might be funny. Koreans are funny. Why not? But three?

Rough stuff. Rough.

I'll take the 'titty bar' over the comedy club any day.

1 comment:

Source Jockey said...

That sucks--I'm sorry. I've had weird experiences at the Ice House, too--one guy seemed to copy his material from the guy before him. It was like a double show--he was upset no one was laughing...

Try the Laugh Factory. It's good.