Friday, August 26, 2005

Barfy Marston's

I took a friend to Marston's in Pasadena for her birthday dinner last night. Everyone recommended it. Everyone I talked to seemed to think it was the shit.

"This place is good."

"Oh, it's great."

"You'll love it."

It started off well. Everything on the menu sounded scrumptious. She got some chicken linguine; I ordered the chicken dumplings in a soy ginger sauce with squash.

When the dumplings came, I found it odd that they looked JUST like the ones you can get at Trader Joe's in the frozen foods section for $2.49 (for an entire package). They looked the exact same--folded the same way, same color, same size, same shape. I thought, "Though they look identical, they can't taste the same." I took a bite and was very surprised. So savory, delicious, yummy...just like the ones from Trader Joe's. Goddamnit. I paid $17 to eat this shit. Not only that, but such a small portion. She had enough linguine to serve 1 1/2 to 2 people. I only had 6 really small dumplings. I would have seriously starved to death had she not taken pity and given me some noodles.

Meanwhile, my special lady friend was thrilled about this. Her dish was halfway decent. It was obvious I was jealous of her. More than the food, and the ice cream we got later, and the lovely time we had together--it was the jealousy that made her birthday. To see me look so let down at my own food, and then to look at her food, and back at mine--well, it was the high point of her evening.

Monday, I have to go back to work. FUCK! I hate work. I don't want to go back. Soon it will all be over...

No comments: