Tuesday, August 02, 2005

What about my fucking jury duty?

Today was my first day back at work.

It was a spirit-crushing, eye-opening day.

Nothing had changed. I feel that a year-long vacation wouldn't remove the stress and hatred of my job that I feel.

Meanwhile, it seems that some people actually missed me. One of my counterparts in the other group told me he went to my manager everyday and asked, "Where's Ryan?" She would answer that I was on vacation, and to get the hell out of her office.

I brought back a bunch of candy. My manager is allergic to nuts. All of the candy had nuts in them. Not the chocolate-covered coffee beans. She doesn't like chocolate-covered coffee beans, though.

THE RED GLOWING LIGHT! That little bastard. I'd like to meet the shitface that invented the RED GLOWING LIGHT. Obviously, I mean the voicemail light. If I ignore it, it doesn't go away. It seems to glow brighter--burning into my brain...AGGHH!! And then I start wondering, "How many messages do I have? 1? 5? 7?" No. I had ten. Ten messages.

What part of, "I will be unable to answer or return calls while I am out of the office. If you have an emergency, call the manager at blah blah blah," sounds like, "I'm not here, but you're my TOP PRIORITY. Leave a message and I'll call you back as soon as I possibly can. I'll interrupt my vacation for you!"?

Fuuuuuck that. And fuuuuuuuuuuck them.

I've been scheduled to be on-call for jury duty. Each day this week I've called, and they haven't called me in. Damn it! I want to be called! I want to serve my community. I want to fulfill my civic duty. I want a day or two off from work to fuck around.

And one more thing. You are fantastic and nothing is wrong with you.

3 comments:

Fluffy said...

I pray that you meant that last sentence for me. I don't really pray, per se, but if you'd just written it for someone else I'd feel like it was directed at me anyway but you'd be thinking "fuck, what? no way" and I'd be feeling a little foolish.

Anyhoo, I'd like to see you quit that job which is slowly but surely crushing your soul. Travel a little more. Australian summer coming around soon.

Just saying.

Ryan Medalie said...

Hm. Australian summer...and just on the heels of American summer. Uncanny!

People just need to know, sometimes, that they are fantastic. You, for instance--you need to know you're fantastic.

Fluffy said...

god dammit ryan don't make me come over there and give you a big old kiss.