Saturday, August 06, 2005

The Jurist on the Sand

Together on the sand,
We walked hand in hand
On the beachfront, she smiled at me
As she tightly held my hand...

There's your plagiarism of the day. Which song? Which album? And why these lyrics in particular?

Yesterday, I got called to serve my community--nay, my country. I was a part of the Democratic system. It's what separates us from the Third World. Trial by jury, innocent until proven guilty...Plus, I didn't have to go to work yesterday. It was great. I got there at 8 AM and stood in the hall with about 150 other people. Then we went into the juror lounge. They had chairs, TVs, magazines, computers, books. So I picked up a book and started reading. At about 9:45, they gave us a 40 minute break. I went across the street to the library and checked out Hey Rube, a compilation of some of Hunter S. Thompson's sports writings for ESPN. I read most of that, and on our two hour lunch break, I went and checked out Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk. I sat and read--no interruptions--until about 4, when I was finally called for jury selection.

The judge told us the expected length of the trail, and asked for the people with no scheduling conflicts to stand up. I was one of about 8 people out of about 70 who stood up. The judge said to be back late Tuesday morning. All day Tuesday--no work that day, either.

And Monday is a screwaround day for work, because we're having an off-site group meeting. It's going to be a potluck, too, so it's not like I'll really have to do anything.

It was a good day yesterday. I found out she's an angel. I don't think she knows I know. I'm worried that something might happen to me if anyone ever finds out.

Why, why did they send her--over anyone else? How should I react? These things happen to other people. They don't happen at all.

I'd say it was a great day yesterday. But then, it wasn't at the same time. Bittersweet.

I'll leave you all on a happy thought: I'm going to a better place. A happier place. That's right, I'm going to Costco. I'm going to eat me some samples.

2 comments:

Fluffy said...

I love how you give me extra bonus points opportunities for unannounced plagiarism of the day TMBG lyrics. Angel, and Dr Worm in the next post.

I can teach you plenty of TMBG on the guitar when my mangled finger is better.

PS: Not sure why the NoFX lyrics. Courtroom association? Together on the stand?

Ryan Medalie said...

Together on the sand. Just the proper parts.