Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Jealous for Unemployment

What a dull day.

I worked.

For what? Why do we work? Why do we get up, dress up, and head off to work for at least 8 hours? Is it simply to pay the bills? Is there a need to be near other people in a large office who are equally as miserable as yourself?

I'm not sure I understand this--especially as I fall into a routine. I hate routines. It really takes the excitement out of life. I'm confused, also, because there are several people in my office who have worked in their same position for over 20 years. That's a long time. I look at some of these people, and I'm thinking, "My God, I was eating paint and crayons in preschool when you started here." Is that depressing or what?

I'm not saying I hate my job. It just bores the living shit out of me. Some of what I do there could easily be done from home or a cafe; I drink coffee, talk on the phone, send email to friends, and play jokes on my colleagues.

It's like I'm being forced into a vegetative state through the establishment of a life-long dull routine. I'll see you soon, Terri Shiavo (yeah, I'm an asshole). Of course I don't need a feeding tube; I eat plenty of snacks at work.

No comments: