Wednesday, March 16, 2005

The Threat of a Lawsuit Looms

I was contacted by a lawyer representing my "friend," Gevin Kant.

Apparently, I should have contacted my friend before telling about how his kid said the thing about the snow being Jesus Christ.

I was presented with a Cease and Desist order. My friend originally was seeking for $30,000 to purchase the rights to the story, and for damages related to unauthorized use of his personal story. At the end of the telling of the story in this blog, rights would automatically transfer back to him.

I talked him down. I told him I didn't have $30,000. He asked for $3,000, and we'd split the rights equally. Plus, I'd pay $300 per month towards his kid's college fund. I told him that this isn't possible for several reasons: first of all, the boy is smart and should get some sort of scholarship. If not, vo-tech school won't be that expensive.

We negotiated a little bit. Now he gets to be a guest on my blog. He's going to write something, and I have to post it. That, and I have to write a haiku in his honor. And I have to give him three bucks. But I'm just going to send him a check and spell his name wrong (I'll conveniently misspell it 'Ryan Medinski,' rather than 'Gevin Kant').

A Haiku For Gevin
You sue me big time,
I pretend I'm still your friend,
You should watch your ass.

No comments: