Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Can't Sleep, Won't Sleep

I've attempted to explain to a friend what it's like to have a government job.

My explanation actually also answers everyone's question at work: "Ryan, why do you always look tired?" I always tell them it's my contacts. But that's not it.

Every night, I go to bed later and later. I go to bed later and later, because the later I go to bed, the longer I'm awake. Once I go to sleep, that means I'll have to wake up. And when I wake up, I have to go to work. So I stay awake, because it seems to put off me having to go to work. And that is why I always look tired. It is procrastinated insomnia--a disorder of my own invention.

"Ryan, you look like you're about to fall asleep." I get this all fucking day at work. People say this because I have bags under my eyes and my eyes are bloodshot. However, no matter how little sleep I get, I can't fall asleep. I don't sleep in public places.

I go to work for eight hours, plus 45 minutes for lunch. Those eight hours stretch out. This morning already feels like it happened a week ago.

Of course, most of my colleagues seem to enjoy it. They really seem to be able to wrap themselves into the role of a mindless low-level government functionary. I seem to be having problems adjusting. I've been thinking longer and harder about delving into alcoholism as a new hobby, but my blog might suffer.

And we can't have that.

Anybody else out there have a government job? Does it suck balls as bad as mine?

1 comment:

Adam said...

Yes, yes I do.

I work for the government agency that looks after roads in Australia. I've always been a bit bored in whatever job I've had, but this one takes the cake. Instead of being a contributing member of staff, I've become a manager.

This means that I go to mindless, pointless, brain numbing meetings, I don't do any work, I manage one person who copes very well in my absence and the actual work I do is merely reporting on all the work I haven't done because it's pointless and non-contributing.

Every day this week I've been getting to work later and later and later until eventually I will rock up, sit down, turn my computer on and then get up to go home.


And this my friend, is the reason I've been harrassing your blog so much...... not because it's quality but merely because it gets me through the day!