Saturday, May 14, 2005

The Wedding Bells Will Sound Like Tubular Bells

Let me start by saying it's motherfucking hot in my apartment. It's about 90 degrees up in this motherfucker. It's not even summer yet. Fuuuuuck. In LA, it's like people don't understand the utility of air conditioners. Most buildings I walk in are hot. Most apartments I walk in don't have central AC. Those that do are still weak. My own apartment has a window AC. Within three feet of the window, you'll get frostbite. Outside of those three feet, it's sweltering hot. It's an odd sensation to feel sweat dripping down your back, and simultaneously be freezing your balls off.

The Favor
I told my friend I'd do her music for her wedding. Not that she asked. And not that I've ever had experience doing this. But when I told my friend, "Hey, I'll do you a favor. I'll choose the music for your wedding."

It was really out of the blue. In fact, I don't even know if we were discussing her wedding. I know I don't know her or her fiance well enough to choose music that fits their personality. Ergo, I guess I must work that much harder.

While the guests arrive, they'll need to have a few different songs playing (in order from least intense to most intense before the ceremony starts):
1) "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash
2) "Crying Game" by Boy George
3) "Viva Las Vegas" by Elvis
4) "Scream" by Michael Jackson (from his album Pederass)
5) "Der Kommiser" by Falco
6) "Gin and Juice" by Snoopy D-O-double-Gizzle
Each of these songs means something.

I enjoy television theme songs. I was thinking that, instead of the Wedding March, there could be the theme song to the Andy Griffith Show. Ah, makes you think of the country, of a nice rural setting. I think it will contrast well with the formal urban environment where the wedding is sure to take place.

DURING most wedding ceremonies, it's silent. No music. Just the priest/rabbi/minister/satanist performing the ceremony. However, at this one, I was thinking that they could play Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" during the service. That's a great album, and long enough to perhaps cover the entire service.

After the ceremony as the bride and groom head off down the aisle, they need music to demonstrate that this is the beginning of a long journey. The two are united as one--one against the world (or several worlds). They face a lot of obstacles and hurdles to jump. Yes, that's right--the theme music to Super Mario Brothers.

No comments: