Saturday, April 09, 2005

90 Hour Work Weeks and a Utopian Society

Today is Saturday--what I consider the least shitty day of the week. What's the shittiest day, you ask? It's a tie--Sunday through Thurdsay.

What about Friday, you ask? Yeah, that's right in the middle of the street between shitty and not-shitty. Everyone looks forward to Friday. "Thank God it's Friday." However, people only say that because it's a prelude to Saturday. Any day where you must work is a shitty day. Friday is less so because the day following Friday is usually a day not filled with work. Don't you fucking SEE?!

And Sunday? Why is that shitty? Because it's the day before the entire week begins. How shitty is that? I get pretty tense on Sundays, just because I know the next day is Monday. And boy, do I hate Mondays.

So I have an idea. Flextime is big where I work. People are allowed to work four days and have the fifth off (Mon-Thurs, work 10 hours a day; Friday-Sun, no work). Others work 8 days at 9 hours per day, and 8 hours on the last, and then have one day off every two weeks.

But I have a better idea. This can spread from government service to private sector. This will revolutionize the way we work. I like to call my idea THE 90 PLAN.

THE 90 PLAN
Many people typically get two weeks off from work per year. I feel that's not enough. How does that offer for enough time for R & R, travelling, and visiting family.

I propose a plan of 90 hour work weeks.
1) MONDAY: Work 24 hours
2) TUESDAY: Work 12 hours
2) WEDNESDAY: Work 14 hours
2) THURSDAY: Work 14 hours
2) FRIDAY: Work 14 hours
2) SATURDAY: Work 14 hours
2) SUNDAY: No work!

You might think that's insane. But then think about this: You'd only have to work about 23 weeks out of the year. A year is 52 weeks. You'd have all that time to...
* Fuck around
* Spend time living on a sex commune
* Take up another full time job and still only work 46 weeks out of the year (STILL leaving you with 6 weeks to totally fuck around with)

Our quality of life would go up. And with more Americans possessing all that free-time to devote to more leisure activities, it'll help stimulate our economy.

No comments: